Sunday, February 17, 2008

Flying Foxes (or "Fruit Bats")


Tipped the scales at 117.8 kg (US = 259.7 lbs, UK = 18.55 stones) this morning and my fat index has dropped to 37.5%, so progress is being made. I did my first 1.60 km (US = 1.0 mile) in under 20 minutes this morning and took a slightly longer route home covering a total of 3.6 km in 44 minutes.
As I was out "walking myself thin" the other morning I met Andy along Keona Road. He mentioned, "Have you noticed all those big, black, low-flying birds that go over every morning . . . what sort of birds are they?"
I responded, "They're not birds, mate, they're mammals."
Andy was shocked, "Mammals can't fly; they must be birds!"
I went on to explain that they are flying foxes which have bodies about the size of a small domestic cat, heads that look like dogs, and front legs that have become wings, just like those on a bat. Their wingspan is approximately 60cm to 1 metre (US = 2 to 3 feet) and they use sonar to avoid hitting trees in the dark. Thousands of them fly North each night about 30-45 minutes after sunset, eat fruit all night, and fly South about 30-45 minutes before dawn to return to their roostring area. In some states they are called fruit bats.
I must say I was surprised that Andy, who must have been well into his seventies, had not heard of such a common Australian animal as the flying fox.
I only met Andy that one morning, but I watch the flying foxes winging their way home every morning while I am out walking. Even though I leave home in the pitch dark at 04:00 to 04:30 each morning, there is always plenty to see along the way.
I am really enjoying walking myself thin.

No comments: